Sunday 14 January 2018

Pre breakfast listing

Sunday 14 Janaury 2018
My decision to do a "big year" (I use this phrase in an attempt to interest Tom, as he really likes the film - I align myself to Steve Martin's character out of the three - without the bank account ! ). It's a gentle bit of year listing in the hope that it'll give me more imputus to get out and look for some birds I haven't seen for ages. So this morning it was Thornham Harbour to look for Twite :
Although it was a grey day it was windless, perfectly still and even better I was the only person there apart from a couple of dog walkers. A flock of 27 Twite whirled around the saltmarsh and I also added a Rock Pipit to the emergent list (photo of Twite from last month at Thornham).
A few minutes drive to Drove Orchard as a couple of Waxwings had been frequenting the telegraph poles for the last couple of days, bingo, there it was.
Having seen these birds quite quickly I decided there was just time for a quick look out to sea from Titchwell beach. It was a good decision as some notable "first for the year" fell. Black-necked and Slavonian Grebe were the best, aided by Goldeneye, Common Scoter and Red-breasted Merganser. The list was climbing but the time was getting on, so home for breakfast.


No comments:

Post a Comment