Sunday 28 January 2018

It all adds up

Saturday 27 January 2018
Hawfinches this year are the new Waxwing with many countywide sightings. Just a few miles away at Great Massingham a group of about 20 birds had been present for the last few weeks so I decided it was time to give them a look. On arrival at the church there were a handful of people present and some 19 Hawfinches flying around and sitting in the tops of the trees. Another one on the gentle "big year" but all too soon it was time to return home to take Tom to his new job at Thornham Deli.

The weather was closing in but as I drove inland having drooped off Tom there seemed to be a belt of sunshine over where I thought the church would be at Massingham, clearly a sign, so I nipped in for another look. This time only a few birds flying around but one did go into a Yew tree and start to feed. It was dull, windy and starting to rain.



 Between Bircham and Thornham on the back road there were quite a few finch flocks, one of which comprised some 20 Bramblings - with time these flocks are worthy of further investigation.

Friday 26 January 2018
A pre work visit to Titchwell started on an intensely foogy and icy day with temperatures down to -1 and three cars in hedges along the coast road after the school run. As I arrived at Titchwell the mist lifted to reveal a glorious morning with sunshine and not a breath of wind. Even better and I was pretty much the only person on the reserve.


In the deserted car park there were 2 Bramblings calling.
A seawatch produced Black-necked Grebe, 30 Common Scoter, Fulmar, Red-throated Divers and new for the year 7 Long tailed Ducks. I couldn't find the female Velvet Scoter but did pick up a bonus bird - Water Rail.


Wednesday 24 January 2018
This was a bad move but seeing as I was in the area....... I decided to walk to Granborough Hill at Salthouse in search of the Snow Bunting flock, some hundred birds apparently. I use the word apparently because as I arrived the heavens opened, but undeterred as it's felt just like birding on Lundy, I trudged off along the shingle. Hmmmm the rain increased and the wind increased and after about 40 minutes I gave up and retreated to the car (only person present for some reason) and watched the Turnstones at work.



The Norfolk Tangle Picker


No comments:

Post a Comment