Friday 19 January 2018

Happy Richard (eventually)

Friday 19 January 2018
So this was it - a fourth attempt at the Parrot Crossbills. I left Sandy after breakfast with Steve Rooke and made my way home via Santon Downham, this time it was straight to the "puddles car park" and no Otter watching (not an easy call after their captivating performance the day before, but this was now getting serious). My sat nav bought me in from a different direction and tried to take me down an unauthorised road - re routed but a ten minute delay. This proved to be somewhat crucial.

I arrived at the car park to be told they had just flown up from the puddles but luckily they were still in the trees. A good sign as they always drop down to drink from those trees, or so I was told. They flew off. Bloomy heck this was getting silly I thought as I penned an imaginary letter to Suzuki Sat Nav Dept. Oli who had just witnessed the Parrot's drinking fest decided to have a look for the Otters - not surprising as he'd exhausted his camera on the very recently departed Crossbills. So I decided to wait having moved away from the small crowd who were all discussing their pictures and comparing head shots and feather detail !

One and a half hours later and they returned, spent an agonisingly long time in the tree tops, before coming down to drink. Now I know the conditions with light were not perfect but as far as I was concerned it was a "right result"

and this female photo bombing the boys
Flushed with success it was back to Browns for another, this time more celebratory, goats cheese salad. Then should I go straight home or have another go for the Black Redstart and try to improve the background ? I started to return home, then remembering I was in the shop for the next seven days headed to Sheringham. It was a bit overcast but with few people around the bird was really confiding:


No comments:

Post a Comment