Wednesday 23 January 2013

dull day

23 January 2013
A walk round Shouldham this morning and still lots of snow around. Walking boots crunching and compacting the snow made it difficult to listen for birds. However that said there were about 25 Siskins and the same number of Lesser Redpolls. I did find a great hedge that had Lesser Redpolls, Reed Buntings, Yellowhammers and Meadow Pipits... This is it I thought, the hedge of my dreams, I postulated how I could feed it up and it would become my regular spot   !!!! ...... so camera at the ready and into creeping mode. Sadly everything flew off, grey jacket, blue jeans against white snow... Hmmm usual problem. Also it is on a farmers field, but they have loads of them so surely they wouldn't mind my simple hobby. I shall try again when the snow has gone and I can blend in a bit more.

Another part of the track held six Goldcrests, so in I went ! Dark in there so blurry pics only.
However a few steps later and a Woodcock exploded from under my feet and flew off out of sight.
Outsiide a few Fieldfares were in the tops of trees and lots of Redwings tossing leaves around in the undergrowth.
Back on the road and a group of Chaffinches and Blackbirds were picking through the.... well what were they picking through exactly ? I couldn't see any seed on the road and didn't think they were picking up grit. Perhaps some wind blown seeds that were too small for me to see.

So all in all a bit dull for two hours spotting, except for the Siskins and Redpolls. Oh and the Goldcrests, the Fieldfares were nice, Woodcock was new for me for Shouldham and it was good to be out, so I'll change my mind, not bad really !

Back at home and I couldn't help but open up the file of yesterdays birds...... they are still there today...... I may have another stab at them tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment