Tuesday 22 January 2013

A quick flit

22 January 2013
My young (only because I'm well old) colleague Oli told me he'd seen some Waxwings at Burnham Overy Staithe on his way in to work, so I took the executive decision to leave the shop ( I do love having my own business )  I zipped up to see if I could find them. At first they were nowhere to be seen so I walked down the track to Gun Hill, and after a short time came across some tell tale signs.
Clearly someone had been enjoying the berries, and then I heard the distinctive trill of aWaxwing, and down the track there they were.
A bit distant, against the light and too blooming high, but a great sight nevertheless. Still the photo opportunity wasn't quite there so some creeping was in order. It was a snow covered track and I had a black coat on !... it was too cold to remove....this was going to be tricky. A little closer however.
Some ten of these cracking little birds were in the hedge, along with some jumpy Fieldfares and a few Yellowhammers.
Eventually I got a bit closer...





 This was making me feel hungry, so as they flew off to feed some more , I returned to my sandwich, very pleased , but somehow a little disappointed I hadn't got THE shot. Next time maybe....
Looking down the track to the coast.

No comments:

Post a Comment