Saturday 17 March 2018

Vampire Deer

Saturday 10 March 2018
I should have been in the south-west today at the Lundy Field Society AGM but consequences of the snow and various other work and domestic related activities had me firmly in Norfolk for the weekend and mostly working. However the trips to and from work can often be wildlife rich and today was no exception. With the roads almost all passable now and clear of snow it was travel as usual. The road from Docking to  Deepdale is usually the most productive.
I have only seen a few Chinese Water Deer but know the are regularly seen by others with many people getting really good views, but apart from a very brief roadside glimpse, I've never managed to catch up with them - all my sightings being Titchwell and at distance. Today was different and as I slowed down to look at what I presumed was a Muntjac I was delighted to see a Chinese Water Deer in the field.
I was a little surprised as I know they prefer wet marshy habitat but they are expanding in Norfolk so I guess not surprisingly areas around the coast will have them. They originally came to this country as introductions to Woburn Park in the late 19th century and have subsequently escaped and it's alleged some deliberate introductions from Bedfordshire. The good news is that while they are declining in their native South-east Asia they are doing well in the UK with around 2100 animals which makes up 10% of the world population.
On a rather less encouraging note males with long tusks are prized by Trophy hunting in the UK - an argument I am not getting involved in. Ecologically they appear to have little impact as they mostly graze on grass. I look forward to seeing these again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment