Friday 9 February 2018

Fallow the leader

Monday 5 February 2018
With enough time following the school run and opening the shop I decided to have a walk round Holkham Lake in search of yesterday's reported Scaup. After an hour and no sign of it I headed back to the gates along the track. I heard what sounded like a vehicle behind me but didn't turn round immediately, only when it started to get closer. I then found myself staring at a herd of about 50 Fallow deer stags all charging along the track, in my direction ! My brain was trying to tell me that deer are easily frightened and there was absolutely no risk of them coming into contact with me, they would simply veer off from the track. Hmm they were now getting very close indeed and not stopping so gut feelings took over from brain and I jumped behind a tree at the side of the track. The deer thundered past ! I emerged unscathed and trying to look cool, not that anyone was around.

Something had clearly spooked the herd and I'll never know what would have happened if I'd stood my ground. Here are a couple of images ,when a little calmer, me and them.


No comments:

Post a Comment